Hon. Jim Prentice, Vice Chairman of CIBC, says we need to get our house in order now to be ready to advance a continental agenda that both nations could support
OTTAWA, Feb. 12, 2014 /CNW/ - CIBC (TSX: CM) (NYSE: CM) - Canada needs to put itself in a position of strength if we are to improve and advance our energy relationship with the United States, says the Honorable Jim Prentice, Senior Executive Vice-President and Vice Chairman of CIBC.
Speaking to the Economic Club of Canada in Ottawa, Mr. Prentice told his audience that Canada needs to get its house in order on a number of fronts if we want our largest trading partner to take our interests seriously.
"We need to respond to the fact that we are a country reliant on trade - but have become too dependent on a single market. Attention must now be turned across the Pacific and over the next few years to put the goal of negotiating accords with some of the leading nations of Asia, including Korea, Japan and China."He noted that the nature of U.S. politics means that over the next two years in the lead up to the next Presidential election, the focus of American politicians will be increasingly inward. Mr. Prentice noted Canada has a narrow window of opportunity to deliver a meaningful continental agenda and laid out four key objectives achievements Canada needs to deliver on between now and 2017. He said the country must:
- Move forward - with pace and with purpose - to build the Energy East and Northern Gateway pipelines, among others to give us the ability to export to the emerging markets of Asia and elsewhere;
- Move forward - again, with pace and with purpose - to build facilities along the B.C. coast to facilitate the export of liquefied natural gas;
- Initiate and pursue genuine engagement with our native peoples. West coast access for both oil and gas requires the active participation and involvement of First Nations' communities and leaders; and
- Continue to improve our own environmental performance - developing the world's cleanest electricity system and further reducing the impact of oil and gas production.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts