NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. markets rose on what new Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen told the House Financial Services Committee Tuesday, but that has not translated into long-term gains Wednesday so far.
While global equities are higher on Wednesday, U.S. stocks are mixed after initially jumping at the open, said TheStreet's Ruben Ramirez.
Deere (DE) is lower on Wednesday. The weakness may come as a surprise since the company beat on the top and bottom lines and reaffirmed 2014 guidance, Ramirez said. Perhaps not helping was Deere's expectation for farm equipment sales to fall in 2014 on lower commodity prices for farmers.
Turning to Toyota Motors (TM), the company is recalling 1.9 million hybrid cars due to a software malfunction. The glitch could result in some of the car's transistors overheating, which would cause the hybrid system to shut down, bringing the car to an abrupt stop.
Home Depot (HD) will reportedly hire 80,000 seasonal workers for its busy spring season, Ramirez said.
He called Home Depot one of the few bright spots in the retail space, which has suffered from low margins and less foot traffic than previous years. Home Depot continues to benefit from the rebounding housing market.-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV