You Could Become the Next Person to Lose Bitcoins
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Bitcoin investors are on a wild ride, one that I think is perfectly illustrated by the following illustration of a generic bubble from trader Brian Shanon's book, Technical Analysis Using Multiple Timeframes:
Used with permission from Brian Shannon
Right now, I think bitcoin investors are at the "complacency" stage. The virtual currency may weather upcoming challenges, but I expect things to get worse before they get better.
Instances of bitcoins disappearing because of technical glitches or theft have become so rampant that now a second bitcoin exchange has halted bitcoin withdrawals, and you could become the next victim. It appears bitcoin investors can't catch a break lately.
Bitstamp joined Mt.Gox in halting bitcoin withdrawals, making it the second significant bitcoin exchange to do so as a result of technical issues. These events have helped pressure the virtual currency's value to about half of its December highs. Bitcoins could recently be had for about $540.According to Mt.Gox: "A bug in the bitcoin software makes it possible for someone to use the Bitcoin network to alter transaction details to make it seem like a sending of bitcoins to a bitcoin wallet did not occur when in fact it did occur. Since the transaction appears as if it has not proceeded correctly, the bitcoins may be resent."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV