Alpha Natural reported a fourth-quarter loss of 52 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Capital IQ expected a loss of 62 cents a share. Revenue fell 29.8% in the quarter to $1.09 billion; analysts were expecting revenue of $1.17 billion.
The quarter included a $205.1 million tax charge and a $7.4 million loss on early debt extinguishment. The company also saw income tax expense rise to $92.5 million from $26.8 million.
The coal producer sold 20.6 million tons of coal in the fourth quarter, compared to 25.9 million in the year-ago quarter.For 2013, Alpha Natural posted a loss of $1.11 billion, or $5.04 a share. That's narroweer than its loss of $2.44 billion, or $11.06 a share, in the previous year. Must read: Cloud Peak Energy Needs to Blow Off Some Steam TheStreet Ratings team rates ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC (ANR) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 893.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$46.15 million to -$458.24 million.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 40.60%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 885.71% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $111.08 million or 34.77% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -48.26%.
- ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC reported poor results of -$11.06 versus -$3.25 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$2.29 versus -$11.06).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ANR Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.