The fund's co-founders -- Donald G. Drapkin, chairman, and Douglas Taylor, CEO -- met in the investment banking division at Lazard (LAZ). In an interview with TheStreet, Taylor characterized Casablanca's experience with M&A transactions and the like as a positive as it worked to make an impact in the world of activist investing.
Drapkin was a long-time top lieutenant to Ronald Perelman and helped the buyout billionaire's holding company McAndrews & Forbes structure some of its biggest acquisitions such as the takeovers of Marvel comics, Revlon and AlliedBarton Security Services. Prior to his 20-year career at McAndrews & Forbes, Drapkin was a partner in the M&A department at law firm Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom. Between 2007 and 2010, Drapkin was vice chairman of Lazard International and was chairman of the firm's investment committee.
At Lazard, Drapkin met Taylor, a long-time banker at the firm who was also one of Bruce Wasserstein's first hires after he became CEO of the boutique investment bank in the early 2000s. Some of Casablanca's partners such as Gregory S. Donat, also trace their roots to Lazard.
CEO Taylor said in his interview with TheStreet that Casablanca's favorite outcome was "to have an engaging and constructive dialogue" with a company's management. In that sense, the fund appears to be onto its Plan B for Cliffs Natural Resources.For more on Casablanca Capital, see TheStreet's Feb3. report on the fund and its history.
-- Written by Antoine Gara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV