Lenovo gets more access to consumers in the mature United States and fast-growing Latin America, market research firm Strategy Analytics says on its blog. More than 80% of Lenovo's sales today come from China, but its post-purchase 6% world smartphone market share will "instantly" fall in line behind only Samsung with 32% and Apple (AAPL) with 15%, according to the research firm.
Motorola, in turn, can strengthen its position in Lenovo's home country, where it has sold handsets long before the arrival of smartphones. Rivals "worried" by the Lenovo-Motorola deal include China's Huawei (002502.SZ), ZTE (ZTCOF), TCL-Alcatel (2618.HK) and iPhone lookalike builder Xiaomi, Strategy Analytics forecasts.
Lenovo should also leverage Motorola's edge in patents, another advantage to selling smartphones outside China. "Motorola has a lot of intellectual property, so when it's licensed for smartphones that can help Lenovo sell outside China," says Tracy Tsai, research director with Gartner in Taipei.
Lenovo, known more for making PCs than smartphones, needs whatever edge it can get in mobile devices. It's trying, alongside rivals including Acer and Asustek Computer, to recast itself as a smartphone maker to grab investor attention.Lenovo's shares hit 14-year and nearly record highs after the Motorola acquisition was announced last month. They weren't doing terribly before the announcement. Lenovo is a safe investment in China as well as in consumer electronics. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @laowiseass This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV