James Dennin, Kapitall: Luxury stocks for men have been hammered in the Chinese market. Do women's luxury brands have room to grow?
A lot has been written about the dangers of investing in China. Investors who know that China's growth is bound to slow down have been looking to move their money into more predictable areas like bonds or equity markets in the US and Europe.
In particular, the market for luxury goods in China has contracted significantly. Affluent officials giving each other expensive gifts was a major source of luxury spending in China, whose consumers represented almost 30% of luxury spending worldwide. The slowdown in luxury spending may be attributable to a government crackdown on gift-giving and corruption, altering big-ticket spending patterns.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV