How to Figure Out Your Startup's Best Bets for Funding
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Getting a business off the ground is never easy, but often one of the first hurdles -- securing funding -- is the most difficult. Knowing which route to take can seem daunting. Should you opt for angel investors? Crowdfunding? What about money from mom and dad? There's no one-size-fits-all answer because every startup is different. We checked in with the experts to find out which route is best for your business.
Friends and family:
"A lot of our clients want their children to succeed, and it's just par for the course that they're going to help their kids get a business off the ground when the need arises," says Deb Doran, managing director at CTC Consulting and Harris myCFO in Seattle. "But when the children take that money, they have to communicate exactly what they want out of the arrangement."
Every family member and every friend will have different expectations when they invest in your business, and it's up to you to tell them what you want. Is this a loan? Is this a gift? Do you want your friend or family member to be a partner in the business?"You're going to be sitting around the Thanksgiving dinner table with these people, and if you aren't clear about what everyone wants from the situation up front there's going to be tension," Doran explains. For example, if your father wants to invest in your business, he may assume that when he does, he will become a full partner and will expect to be treated as your "right hand man," she says. "You may need to step in and tell your family that you want to do this on your own, that you are treating them as you would any other investor," she says. "No matter what, you don't just want a handshake agreement. You need all the formalities in place."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV