Chris Lau, Kapitall: Semiconductor stocks Micron Technology and NXP Semi continue to be on an upward trajectory.
Micron Technology (MU) and NXP Semiconductor (NXPI) are semiconductor stocks that continue to be on an upward trajectory. Both are at 52-week highs, so neither company would appeal to value investors. Many positive drivers still support a bullish view, namely strong demand and favorable product developments.
Read more from Kapitall: Did the January Slide Create a Buying Opportunity?
NXP makes digital signal processing products. It reported strong quarterly earnings on February 5. Revenue was $1.293B, gross margin was steady at 45.6%, while operating margins were 15.3% for the quarter. For the year, operating margin was 13.5%. NXP earned $1.36 per share, which gives a P/E of 38. Its price of profitability (or forward P/E) is just 14, which reflects the expectation that the company will grow earnings this year.
NXP’s HPMS (High Performance Mixed Signal) product performed well, and contributed to the 22% year-over-year growth for NXP. The automobile sector grew, and should be expected to be a strong driver for demand. NXP established a sales run-rate of over $1B annually.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV