Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gladstone Commercial Corporation (Nasdaq:GOOD) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- GLADSTONE COMMERCIAL CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GLADSTONE COMMERCIAL CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$0.05 versus $0.17 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 320.0% in earnings (-$0.21 versus -$0.05).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 68.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.99 million to $0.31 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, GLADSTONE COMMERCIAL CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- 46.64% is the gross profit margin for GLADSTONE COMMERCIAL CORP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of GOOD's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GOOD's net profit margin of 1.92% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The share price of GLADSTONE COMMERCIAL CORP has not done very well: it is down 7.27% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter.
Latest Headlines about GOOD
Cash Dividend On The Way From Gladstone Commercial Corp's 7.50% Series B Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Stock
Gladstone Commercial Corp's 7.125% Series C Cumulative Term Preferred Stock Ex-Dividend Reminder - 2/14/14
Gladstone Commercial Corp's 7.125% Series C Cumulative Term Preferred Stock Ex-Dividend Reminder - 1/17/14
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV