Unusual Social Activity Today Around Ingersoll-Rand (IR)
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Ingersoll-Rand (IR) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Ingersoll-Rand as such a stock due to the following factors:
- IR has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 1.40 mentions/day.
- IR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $151.5 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in IR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for IR NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on IR: Ingersoll-Rand Public Limited Company engages in the design, manufacture, sale, and service of a diverse portfolio of industrial and commercial products in the United States and internationally. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.7%. IR has a PE ratio of 22.1. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Ingersoll-Rand a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold.The average volume for Ingersoll-Rand has been 2.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Ingersoll-Rand has a market cap of $17.2 billion and is part of the industrial goods sector and industrial industry. The stock has a beta of 1.49 and a short float of 1.4% with 1.59 days to cover. Shares are down 4.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Ingersoll-Rand as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 18.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $522.30 million or 21.49% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 0.15%.
- 35.72% is the gross profit margin for INGERSOLL-RAND PLC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 4.42% trails the industry average.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.50, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.92 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. The stock's price rise over the last year has driven it to a level which is somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full Ingersoll-Rand Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV