If they end up being accurate once again in today's market, the implications are significant. Given the 15-year run in small-caps, many investors likely have an outsized weighting to the asset class in their portfolios due to price appreciation alone. Additionally, as most investors suffer from recency bias -- a tendency to chase recent performance -- any new purchases made over the past few years were likely to favor small-caps.
What can an investor do to prepare for the likely reversal in the years to come?
First, a simple rebalancing out of small-caps and into large-caps would bring an investor's portfolio back in line with their target allocations. A more active investor may consider going beyond rebalancing by reducing their target allocation to small-caps until the valuation gap is closed.
A final re-positioning for aggressive long-term investors to consider would be to reduce their exposure to U.S. small-cap stocks and increase their exposure to the "small-caps of the world," emerging market equities through the iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Index (EEM). According to Grantham, emerging-market stocks are projected to deliver a real return of 3.5% per year over the next seven years, or 8.4% higher than their projected return for U.S. small-caps.
At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned.This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV