Update (9:45 a.m.): Updated with Tuesday market open information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Citigroup downgraded United States Steel (X - Get Report) to "sell" from "neutral" and set a $23 target price. The firm said the company would struggle to keep up with falling prices.
The stock was hovering around its previous closing price of $25.59 shortly after the market opened on Tuesday.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- X, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 1.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.8%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- UNITED STATES STEEL CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, UNITED STATES STEEL CORP reported poor results of -$14.27 versus -$0.97 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.64 versus -$14.27).
- The gross profit margin for UNITED STATES STEEL CORP is currently extremely low, coming in at 4.40%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -2.85% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$7.00 million or 103.95% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: X Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts