CHICAGO, Feb. 11, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Last minute Valentine's Day shoppers can score the most points by presenting plans for a travel getaway later this spring rather than reach for the standard bag of tricks like candy, flowers, lingerie or even worse, a gift card, according to the Orbitz Insider Index. While a couple's getaway ranks as the number one gift this Valentine's Day – nearly 70 percent of respondents have never received a trip from their sweetheart.
"We see wrapping up a gift of travel as a double-dip strategy," said Jeanenne Tornatore, senior editor for Orbitz. "You score points now for making the plans, and you score points again later when you take the trip. Taking the time to plan a romantic trip is really the gift that keeps on giving."
Tornatore said that results from the Orbitz Insider Index survey are a road map for travelers looking to plan a romantic getaway, identifying the sexiest cities of 2014 in the U.S. and abroad. For the second consecutive year, Las Vegas ranks number one on Orbitz annual list of sexiest cities with Miami coming in at a close second. The French get it right yet again with Paris being the top pick as the sexiest city in the world.Orbitz wants to know what sexy cities travelers are visiting this Valentine's Day weekend. Tweet @Orbitz using #sexycity.
|Orbitz Sexiest Cities 2014|
|Rank||U. S. Destination||International|
|4||San Francisco||San Jose|
- The polar vortex seems to be driving travelers to warmer weather destinations this year, taking seven of the top 10 spots.
- With hotel price increases nearly across the board for Presidents' Day, Honolulu is the only destination with a price decrease – coming in six percent under last year's average daily rate.
- International destinations are a trend this dual holiday weekend, with three new additions – while last year's list solely included domestic cities. Thanks to the white sandy beaches and warm water, Punta Cana and Cancun shot straight to the top three.
|Orbitz Top 10 Destinations for Valentine's Day/Presidents'|
|Day Weekend 2|
|Punta Cana, Dominican Republic||3||$345||$339||+2%|
|New York City||4||$216||$194||+11%|
|Puerto Vallarta, Mexico||9||$144||$132||+9%|
CONTACT: Media Contact: Marita Hudson Thomas, +1-312-260-8304, email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV