MCLEAN, Va., Feb. 11, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Iridium Communications Inc. (Nasdaq:IRDM) has expanded the reach of its cost-effective Iridium OpenPort ® service to offer broadband communications to terrestrial users with the launch of Iridium Pilot ® Land Station. For the first time, many remote individuals and businesses in off-the-grid locations can obtain reliable Internet connections and voice calling no matter where they are located. Iridium Pilot Land Station is an easy-to-install communications platform that makes connections where no other choice exists.
Iridium Pilot Land Station provides pole-to-pole coverage and broadband data speeds, with independent voice lines for simultaneous voice and data communications. The ruggedized hardware utilizes the proven Iridium OpenPort broadband service, allowing operation in extreme weather conditions, making it the obvious choice for users with critical communications requirements.
"Iridium OpenPort has proven to be a great solution for maritime and aviation customers, and we expect to have the same success in the terrestrial market as well," said Bryan Hartin, Iridium's executive vice president of sales and marketing. "Iridium Pilot Land Station is another example of Iridium's strategy to provide cost-effective communications solutions for all types of users around the globe."Iridium Pilot Land Station has a variety of potential uses, including:
- Disaster recovery: Governments and emergency response organizations can quickly deploy Iridium Pilot Land Station to restore voice and Internet connections in stricken areas.
- Remote education or humanitarian missions: For organizations providing education or humanitarian aid in countries without reliable telecommunications infrastructure, Iridium Pilot Land Station enables the communications they need to stay organized.
- Science and exploration: Explorers and scientists can work from anywhere on the planet, easily staying in contact with colleagues. This is especially important when exploring remote, treacherous areas where other satellite coverage falters.
- Business continuity: Whether due to an earthquake or a power outage, companies, governments and other organizations can rely on Iridium Pilot Land Station to provide a diverse connectivity solution independent of terrestrial infrastructure.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV