What do we learn from Google's research?
The model is nothing new. Is Google's model unique to Google? Certainly not. The model would likely be valid in almost every organization and with every manager.
The model focuses on the basics. Every sports fan knows that a common characteristic of champions is a relentless focus on the basics. The basics are the few core skills necessary for success.
Create and document your own management model with clearly defined "basics." Practice your model obsessively until your behavior changes. You won't get a better performance rating for being well-read. Ask your team to assess your behavior against the model. Ask them to them choose one behavior to practice for a three- to six-month period. Just one. Make progress reports a standing team meeting agenda item. Then schedule a team meeting on June 30 to report your progress and to let your team set your next goal.Management is not knowledge; management is a skill. The best swimmer does not become the best by reading the most swimming books. He becomes the best by understanding the basics and practicing them for thousands of hours. So clear away the books and ask, "What will be my model of management success?" Then practice, reflect and practice again. Follow @drbradhall This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV