Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (G&W) (NYSE:GWR) today reported traffic volumes for January 2014.
G&W’s traffic in January 2014 was 156,584 carloads, an increase of 557 carloads, or 0.4%, compared with January 2013.
The table below sets forth consolidated summary carload information for January 2014 and January 2013 by commodity group.
|Coal & Coke||28,971||27,367||1,604||5.9%|
|Minerals & Stone||16,234||16,503||(269)||(1.6%)|
|Pulp & Paper||14,773||15,030||(257)||(1.7%)|
|Chemicals & Plastics||13,696||14,431||(735)||(5.1%)|
|Lumber & Forest Products||10,973||11,269||(296)||(2.6%)|
|Food or Kindred Products||4,567||4,473||94||2.1%|
|Autos & Auto Parts||2,528||2,465||63||2.6%|
- North American traffic decreased 595 carloads, or 0.4%, and was negatively affected in January 2014 by extreme winter weather at most of G&W’s North American regions.
- Australian traffic increased 1,152 carloads, or 6.5%, primarily due to increased iron ore and grain shipments.
- Coal & coke traffic increased 1,604 carloads, or 5.9%, primarily due to increased steam coal shipments in G&W’s Ohio Valley Region.
- Metallic ores traffic increased 1,604 carloads, or 31.6%, primarily due to increased iron ore shipments in G&W’s Australia Region.
- Metals traffic decreased 1,215 carloads, or 8.4%, primarily due to decreased scrap steel shipments in G&W’s Southern Region.
- All remaining traffic decreased by a net 1,436 carloads.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts