The DreamTeam Group promoted Galena's stock in other ways than just publishing Seeking Alpha articles.
"By December 20, 2013, DTG has published a total of 50 unique GALE-centered blogs that were distributed throughout the DTG network and a number of investor-oriented community site on the Internet such as StockHouse, StockTwits, Seeking Alpha and Wall Street Cheat Sheet," DreamTeam explains in the document obtained by TheStreet.
DreamTeam also employs people who promote the stocks of paying clients on message boards, Facebook and via Twitter, according to the document.
DreamTeam Managing Partner Michael Andrew McCarthy did not respond to a message left on his cellphone.
All that DreamTeam promotion worked wonders for Galena's stock price, which tripled in value from $2 per share in July 2013 to almost $7.50 in the middle of January. DreamTeam's contract for eight months of work with Galena ends this month.
Galena CEO Ahn unloaded $2.8 million in company stock in January, according to SEC filings. Director Steven Kriegsman, who's also the CEO of Cytrx (CYTR), pocketed $2.1 million from the sale of Galena stock in the same month, according to SEC filings. Other Galena executives and directors have also been selling shares.
Cytrx is also a DreamTeam Group client, paying $65,000 for a year's worth of stock promotion, according to a disclaimer on DreamTeam Group's Web site.
The timing of the Galena insider sales may or may not be related to the end of the promotional work being done by Galena. In a recent published interview, Ahn said he sold part of his Galena holding to "diversify for my family."
-- Reported by Adam Feuerstein.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV