Timely Call Buying in AUY
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
AUY is up $0.45 to $9.62 Monday morning after the company updated it operation results for the fourth quarter and the full year 2013. Yamana said it produced 1.2 million gold equivalent ounces [GES], which was decidedly less than the 1.32 to 1.37 million it had estimated in July. The company also said it expects 1.4 million GES in 2014, which is at the low end of previous estimates of 1.4 to 1.5 million.
The stock is rallying on increasing volume of 3 million shares this morning despite the lowered forecast. AUY saw brisk trading of 9.2 million shares Friday as well and, on the options front, volume was 6.5X the daily average. Roughly 43,000 calls and 5,070 puts tarded on the stock. March 9 calls were the most actives. 32,435 contracts traded at a VWAP of $0.582 cents per contract. Open interest at that strike is now 18,156 (largest in the name) and, after today's advance in the shares, the market on those calls is $0.99 to $1.03.
It's not entirely clear what motivated the surge in interest in March 9 calls on Yamana Gold, but the timing was good because the contract has doubled in value from the prices seen Friday morning. The company's update didn't seem very bullish, but gold prices are up $13.60 to $1276.5 and the mining sector is broadly higher to start the week. Looking forward, the company's next test will be earnings, which are due out one week from tomorrow.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV