Updated from 12:53 p.m. to include Tesla comment in the third paragraph.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tesla Motors (TSLA) shares surged another 5.6% to $197.00 on Monday, getting close to the magical $200 ahead of earnings next week.
There's no news that I can see moving the stock, though the company seems to have eschewed the negative press and bad will levied against it following the Model S fires that took place in 2013.
Tesla declined to comment, citing the fact the company does not comment on stock price.
TSLA data by YCharts
The company is expected to hold its fourth-quarter earnings call next week, despite Tesla having already preannounced results. Jerome Guillen, Tesla vice president, announced the numbers from the Detroit Auto Show. He said Tesla delivered 6,900 Model S units during the fourth quarter of 2013, 20% higher than initial guidance. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expect Tesla to to earn 19 cents a share on a non-GAAP basis in the fourth quarter on $663.32 million in revenue.
Last week, Consumer Reports ranked Tesla fifth in its annual Car-Brand Perception Survey, a list that includes other automakers such as Toyota (TM), Honda (HMC), Ford (F) and GM's (GM) Chevrolet.
CEO Elon Musk also tweeted that Tesla would be releasing another software update soon.
-- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Tesla V6 software upload coming soon. Need to make sure it is "awesome" - Lord Business Elon Musk (@elonmusk) February 9, 2014
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV