Strategy Analytics: Home 3D Printers Could Drive $70bn In Annual Global Market Revenues
BOSTON, Feb. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Home 3D printers could eventually become an important segment in the consumer electronics market, generating an annual $70bn worldwide, according to the latest research from Strategy Analytics' Connected Home Devices (CHD) service. The report, " Home 3D Printers: Market Opportunities and Obstacles", analyses major obstacles and presents scenarios for the evolution of the home 3D printing market. It concludes that the industry will develop more slowly than some vendors expect in the early years but that demand will accelerate post-2020 as more use cases emerge, user experience improves and technologies advance. Under the report's core forecast scenario, 3D printers would eventually be owned by more than 50 percent of households in both the US and Western Europe, and global annual revenues from sales of printers and related materials would reach $10bn by 2024 and $70bn by 2030.
"In spite of widespread publicity around 3D printing over the past year or so, 3D printers designed for home use are only at the beginning of their long journey towards widespread consumer adoption," says David Mercer, Principal Analyst and the report's author. "The industry must overcome a number of barriers if the long-term potential of 3D printing as a consumer market is to be realised."Amongst these barriers the report identifies two key factors: user experience and copyright issues. In spite of recent improvements the report suggests that most desktop 3D printers are still too complicated, slow and limited in applications to become mass market devices. These user experience issues are likely to be resolved over time as technologies improve but this will require vendors to devote resources to understanding the needs and attitudes of end users.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV