U.S. Jobs: What's Hot and What's Not
Manufacturing jobs gained by 21,000 in January, which was more than the 10,000 economists surveyed by Bloomberg anticipated. This was well above the 7,000 jobs a month the sector added in 2013. While the January uptick in manufacturing jobs offered upside surprise, recruiting firms don't think the sector is growing quickly enough.
"The lack of skilled labor on the manufacturing side is significant," Chad Oakley, president of Charles Aris, said in a phone interview. "Twenty-one thousand is scratching the surface of what I think that could be." Oakley said the January report was great, but that it "absolutely" isn't even close to hiring enough people in the sector.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV