By midmorning, shares had taken off 4.1% to $20.33.
The Saskatoon-based miner said it earned 38 Canadian cents a share over the quarter, down from 59 Canadian cents a year earlier, while sales totaled C$977 million.
"2013 was a challenging year, but also a year in which Cameco was, again, able to demonstrate resilience and strength," said CEO Tim Gitzel in a statement. "We were able to achieve record production and a number of record financial results, despite the continued uncertainty in the uranium market."The company said it expects sluggish market conditions to continue through this year. As such, it has backed off from its previous production target of 36 million pounds by 2018. "Although we still have an extensive portfolio of assets from which we can increase our production, the market incentive must be there," said Gitzel. TheStreet Ratings team rates CAMECO CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate CAMECO CORP (CCJ) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, increase in net income and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and disappointing return on equity."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CCJ Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV