NEW YORK, Feb. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Legg Mason, Inc. (NYSE: LM) announced today that its affiliate Permal Group ("Permal"), one of the largest alternative asset managers in the world, has launched Permal Alternative Select Fund ("the Fund"; ticker PASWX), its first open end alternative mutual fund. The multi-strategy fund, which offers investors daily liquidity, is sub-advised by a selection of leading hedge fund managers ("subadvisers") and has a minimum investment of $1,000.
By means of a tactical asset allocation program, the Fund is seeking to produce positive returns across a full market cycle, allocating assets to strategies that historically have had a low correlation to each other. These strategies may include Equity Hedge, Event Driven, Global Macro and Relative Value.
The initial investment strategies and subadvisers are:
- Equity Hedge: Apex Capital, LLC
- Event-Driven: River Canyon Fund Management LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Canyon Capital Advisors
- Global Macro (Discretionary): TT International
- Global Macro (Systematic): BH-DG Systematic Trading LLP, part of a joint venture arrangement between David Gorton and Brevan Howard
"Clients today are far more interested in accessing a range of liquidity solutions covering the spectrum from daily to quarterly and beyond. Through Permal Alternative Select Fund, we are offering an alternative daily liquid multi-manager fund with a select group of leading managers and a core focus on diversification by manager and strategy," said Maxwell Osborne, Head of U.S. Distribution for Permal.Tom Hoops, Head of Business Development for Legg Mason, who oversees M&A activity and new product development, said, "As investor needs evolve, Legg Mason has the resources to tap into the expertise of its investment affiliates and bring to market new products through our global distribution channels. For over 40 years Permal has been a leader in the alternative investment space and is the ideal partner to launch a liquid alternative product. This is also a great example of industry convergence, where the offshore world meets the onshore market. Retail investors today are looking beyond the more traditional products and with Permal Alternative Select Fund we have a daily liquid product that offers diversification across a range of hedge fund strategies and managers." The Fund, which is registered with the SEC under both the Securities Act of 1933 and Investment Company Act of 1940, is managed by Permal Asset Management LLC, a member of Permal Group. It has been structured to provide investors with 1099 tax reporting and is available to U.S. retail and institutional investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV