Dell today announced expansion of its cloud client solutions to incorporate support for Windows Server 2012 R2 and Dell vWorkspace, combining existing infrastructure offerings for Windows Server 2012 R2 and for vWorkspace into a single, end-to-end Hyper-V based desktop virtualization solution. Starting at under $250 per seat including datacenter infrastructure, licensing and a three year Dell ProSupport 1 subscription, the new reference architecture is designed to provide organizations with integrated infrastructure options that deliver performance, agility and efficiency, while ensuring enterprise-level VDI features for one of the lowest price-per-seat solutions available today.
Dell Wyse Datacenter for Microsoft VDI and vWorkspace is a highly flexible and cost-effective solution that can scale from ten to tens of thousands of seats. It is ideal for organizations wishing to leverage their datacenter investment and existing expertise in Microsoft infrastructure to provide workers secure and flexible access to data and applications, while simplifying management and improving data security, control and compliance.
The solution also supports a greater range of audio and graphics applications enabling IT departments to virtualize more applications, including unified communications on Microsoft Lync 2013 and virtualized shared graphics with AMD FirePro TM S9000, S7000 and W7000 cards. The centrally hosted virtualized environment means that users experience no difference between applications running locally or virtualized. IT managers are able to optimize IT resources while providing a more effective application and system support and data security, all from a single management console.
- Support for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 and Intel Ivy Bridge processors delivers user density up to 225 users per R720 server, set up either as RDSH, pooled or persistent Windows 8.1 VMs
- Support for Microsoft RemoteFX (RDP), with support for a broad range of RDP 8.0 features
- Support for affordable personal desktops with a persistent profile, taking advantage of Windows Server 2012 R2 built-in active data deduplication feature
- Unified communications support with the Microsoft Lync 2013 VDI plug-in for Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows 8 end points increases user productivity without affecting server user density
- Virtualized shared graphics using AMD FirePro TM S9000, S7000 & W7000 server GPUs providing up to 85 Shared Graphics users per R720 server
- New VDI features for Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote Desktop Services including support for iOS, Mac OS and Android end points
- Enhancements through RemoteFX, DirectX, quick reconnect and visual application appearance
- Optional vWorkspace 8.0 MR1 desktop virtualization software for expanded client support, legacy applications and OS’s, and performance monitoring