With her experience in generating commerce and ad revenue, she should be able to help Google deliver. As of 2013, more searches are done on YouTube than on any other search engine other than Google itself. The video placements on YouTube, which help Google bring the most targeted demographics to the most appropriate advertisers, have the potential to grow exponentially.
GOOG data by YCharts
Notice how far that red line has plunged since the middle of 2012. It hasn't hurt the share price yet, but free cash flow and its yield are important financial metrics. YouTube again to the (potential) rescue!
If you've watched YouTube lately, you may have noticed a new, more diversified look and feel to it. Having purchased a production studio called NextNewNetworks, YouTube now has video-making technologies and the marketing prowess to attract a lot of people, including some remarkable video producers. Two years ago, YouTube announced it would spend $100 million to help finance 100 new and original channels.
Around that time, FORTUNE dubbed the $100 million investment as the most efficient spend in history after talking to Collective Digital CEO Reza Izad. Collective Digital represents some of the most biggest names on YouTube, including Madonna and NBA legend Shaquille O'Neal. When Izad said, "They planted a very big flag and got a lot of people's attention," he wasn't exaggerating.
In promoting a new YouTube CEO with an extensive background in both eCommerce and generating ad revenue, Google's determination to maximize the benefits of its YouTube acquisition has not abated.
Investors should be heartened by Wojcicki's promotion, and it won't be long until the results are felt both on the top and bottom lines.
At the time of publication the author had positions in GOOG.
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV