PARSIPPANY, N.J. and PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla., Feb. 7, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- PGA TOUR and Avis Car Rental announced today that Zach Johnson has been voted the January PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis. As the official rental car company of the PGA TOUR and in its third year as sponsor of the PGA TOUR Player of the Month program, Avis will make a $50,000 contribution to the Zach Johnson Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping Cedar Rapids, Ia., children and their families lead happy, healthy lives.
In a fan decision on PGATOUR.COM, Johnson outpolled Jimmy Walker, Patrick Reed and Scott Stallings. The four were nominated by a panel of national media for their performances during the month of January.
"I am truly honored to have been voted the January PGA TOUR Player of the Month," said Johnson. "Avis' generosity will help directly impact the youth and families of eastern Iowa through the Zach Johnson Foundation. This is just another example of how great the game of golf is with such a unique platform to give back to our communities."The highlight of Johnson's month was his 11 th career PGA TOUR title at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions, where he posted a final-round 66 to edge Jordan Spieth by one stroke. In his two other starts in January, Johnson finished tied for eighth at the Sony Open in Hawaii and tied for third at the Humana Challenge in partnership with the Clinton Foundation. Johnson's stroke average for the month was 67.17 with 11 of his 12 rounds in the 60s. "The voters got it right – Zach Johnson's performance throughout the month of January is commendable," said Jeannine Haas, chief marketing officer, North America, Avis Budget Group. "We're proud to name him 2014's first player of the month and donate $50,000 to the Zach Johnson Foundation."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV