Stocks rebound to post gain for the week
On Friday, the market's gains were broad.
All 10 sectors in the S&P 500 index moved higher, led by industrial and health care stocks. Three stocks rose for every one that fell.
It was a good day for some travel stocks.
Expedia soared $9.31, or 14.3 percent, to $74.45, while TripAdvisor leapt $7.31, or 9.5 percent, to $84.45.Among the stocks that ended with sizable gains Friday were publishing company News Corp., which rose $1.39, or 8.7 percent, to $17.41. The Gap also added $2.29, or 5.8 percent, to $42. Some stocks missed the rally. LinkedIn fell $13.86 or 6.2 percent, to $209.59 after the company said its performance may falter this year as it spends more on long-term projects and revenue growth slows. Cigna led the declines in the S&P 500 after reporting earnings that fell short of analysts' expectations. The stock sank $7.90, or 9.3 percent, to $77.47. Also sliding was Flir Systems, which makes thermal imaging systems. It shed $1.48, or 4.6 percent, to $30.71. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note edged down to 2.69 percent from 2.70 percent as investors moved money into bonds. It slid as low as 2.63 percent shortly after the jobs report came out at 8:30 a.m. Eastern time. The yield, which affects rates on mortgages and other consumer loans, had been edging higher after falling to 2.58 percent on Monday, the lowest level in more than two months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV