NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With all the talk of a new home soda system from Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) and Coca-Cola (KO), investors probably missed the news that Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPS) announced on Thursday that it is raising its quarterly dividend by 8% to 41 cents a share from 38 cents.
Investors may want to check out the nation's No. 3 soda company, with its dividend yield of 3.2% and a lower price-to-earnings ratio than rivals Coke and PepsiCo (PEP).
While Dr Pepper is much smaller than Coke and Pepsi in revenue, its dividend yield is higher -- Coke's is 2.8%, Pepsi's 2.9% -- and its P-E ratio is 15.5, compared with Coke's 19.7 and Pepsi's 18.6. Dr Pepper also has a lower price-to-sales ratio (1.51) than Coke (3.56) and Pepsi (1.8). And Dr Pepper has increased its dividend annually since 2009.
Among the company's 50 brands are Dr Pepper, Snapple, Sunkist, Squirt and A&W. It has six of the top 10 non-cola soft drinks. Thirteen of the company's top 14 brands hold a No. 1 or No. 2 market position in their categories.While Coke offers growth with its line of non-carbonated drinks and now a stake in Green Mountain Coffee Roasters and Pepsi offers growth from its snack line, which could eventually be spun off into a separate company, Dr Pepper gives investors income and steady earnings. The company continues to cut costs and increase its profit. Value and income investors should consider a trip to the Dr. At the time of publication, the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV