10 Best Bottles of Scotch on the Planet
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Will Ferrell's Ron Burgundy character in Anchorman famously says, "I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch." While Ferrell's line won't be confused with MLK's "I Have a Dream" or FDR's "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself," Burgundy certainly made his point.
Humans have been producing scotch since the 1400s, making the drink purely from malt barley until distilleries began using wheat and rye. Today, scotch varieties fall into five categories: single malt, single grain, blended malt, blended grain and blended.
With so many different varieties and brands from which to choose, which are the best of the best? What would Ron Burgundy drink?
We've highlighted some of the winners of the 2013 International Wine & Spirit Competition, selecting those that earned the IWSC's "Gold Outstanding" ranking.
And because we know that scotch sometimes feels great on the tongue but not on the wallet, we've also included the price of one bottle. So click through for our list of The 10 Best Bottles of Scotch on the Planet (in no particular order):
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV