NEW YORK (
TheStreet) --It's a good, old-fashioned earnings showdown between two well-known food companies,
one of Jim Cramer's favorites. Both companies are about the same size when it comes to market cap. That, however, is where the similarities end.
Dean Foods is a food and beverage company which processes and distributes milk, other fluid dairy products and plant-based beverages. It shares closed Thursday at $15.30 and are down nearly 11% for the year to date.
The company operates in two segments, Fresh Dairy Direct and WhiteWave Foods (WWAV), which it spun off in May to Dean's shareholders through newly created class B shares.
The spinoff, detailed in this press release, worked out well for shareholders. WhiteWave now has a market cap of over $4 billion thanks to its various brands including Land O Lakes.
Dean Foods continues to own an interest in WhiteWave but not a controlling interest. This is explained in detail on the company's Web site. The whole transaction was complicated and included a reverse stock split of Dean Foods issued common stock, which shed a large amount of intrinsic value through the spinoff.
Here's a one-year chart illustrating how the stock prices for both companies have performed since the spinoff of WhiteWave. It appears that in the final analysis, shareholders sort of broke even (but that's a topic beyond the scope of this article).
DF data by YCharts
Dean Foods will step into the earnings confessional before the market opens on Tuesday. The 12 analysts who cover the company expect, on average, 19 cents in earnings per share. Sales growth and revenue for the last quarter of 2013 is projected to be nearly $2.27 billion, according to Yahoo! Finance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV