Over the past 25 years there have been wars, recessions, even a terrorist attack on the United States. Yet, over that period of time, Coca-Cola, ExxonMobil, Wal-Mart and other Dividend Aristocrat stocks have managed to increase the dividend payment annually. At present, there are more than 50 of them. It is difficult to come up with any bond that has increased its interest payment annually over the past 25 years.
The yields from "Dividend Aristocrats" can be much higher, too.
Currently, the yield on a five-year Treasury security is under 1.50%. Bonds from Coca-Cola that mature in September 2016 have a yield to maturity of 1.06% and 0.73%. The dividend yield from Coca-Cola is now 2.98%. For Exxon-Mobil, the dividend yield is 2.81%. Wal-Mart has a dividend yield of 2.58%.
While Coca-Cola bonds that mature in September 2016 are certainly stable, the interest payment will not increase. History dictates that the dividend income to the shareholders of Coca-Cola, ExxonMobil, Wal-Mart and other Dividend Aristocrats will continue to grow. For income and security, it is difficult to find a better investment for long-term objectives than Coca-Cola, ExxonMobil and Wal-Mart. Sure, the prices will drop, but as income investments, there is no reason to sell. The dividends have a history of increasing even in adverse market and economic conditions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV