[video] Quick Take: Trader Not Impressed With Buying on Low Volume
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The S&P 500 is higher Wednesday but not everyone is impressed. Ben Willis of Albert Fried & Company told TheStreet's Debra Borchardt that while all three major U.S. indices are higher, it's on very low volume.
This makes him skeptical, he said. It's not a positive sign for stocks to move higher on low volume.
Willis added the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX.X) seems likely to move higher into Thursday's close because volatility is present on both up and down days.
The current rally isn't healthy and the correction is not over yet, he warned.
Investors should also be aware of Friday's nonfarm payrolls report for January. Holiday workers are being released from their employers and lower-than-expected results could push markets lower once again.
Willis suggested long-term investors try not to get too caught up in the day-to-day moves of the market. Instead, they should use the larger stretches of down days to add to their positions while the traders benefit from the intraday volatility.
-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich.Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV