Revenue improved in the fourth quarter of 2013, as they should since most health insurers are posting strong financial positions in 2013 because patients are staying away from doctor's offices and hospitals trying to keep their medical bills at a minimum while the economy struggles along to improve.
There may be a big discrepancy in fourth-quarter (year-over-year) production numbers, but don't be deceived it's not as bad as it looks.
- 4Q 2012-- $464.2 million profit/$1.51 per share
- 4Q 2013-- $148.2 million profit/49 cents per share
These numbers look like the company did very poorly the fourth quarter of 2013, but there are two things to keep in mind.
- In 2012 the fourth quarter benefited from a 46 cents per share tax settlement gain.
- In 2013 the fourth quarter struggled with a 55 cents per share impairment of intangible assets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV