"I am a huge believer that there's only one kind of technology stock that's working," he began, "and that's a stock that embraces" social, mobile and the cloud.
Today's tech stocks need to be on social media platforms like Facebook (FB) and Twitter (TWTR) and understand how to properly benefit their business from social media. These companies also must understand the power of interacting with consumers via these outlets.
Today's technology companies also need to realize that not everything needs to be done on a desktop, he said.Consumers like to take their activities and their news with them, without being glued to the chair in front a monitor. Cramer highlighted how consumers can watch TV and sports games from their smartphone and tablet, as an example. Finally, he referred to companies such as Google (GOOG), an AAP portfolio holding, Facebook and Salesforce.com (CRM), which operate terrifically and effectively in the cloud business. "Notice how well those stocks have held up in this decline," he said, calling them "go to" stocks. Why exactly have these stocks held up? Because they understand the cloud, while utilizing social and mobile platforms, Cramer concluded. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV