NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Monster Worldwide (MWW), which runs the job search site Monster.com, were soaring 25.21% to $7.38 on Thursday after the company reported fourth-quarter earnings that surpassed analysts' expectations.
Monster reported that its non-GAAP earnings for the quarter totaled $10 million, or 11 cents a share. This beat analysts' EPS estimate of 10 cents a share. The company also posted revenue of $199 million, down from $211 million in the same period a year earlier but up from $197 million in the third quarter. Analaysts were looking for fourth-quarter revenue of $195.59 million.
Monster also repurchased $46 million of stock in the quarter.
"We are pleased with our fourth quarter financial results as we delivered sequential revenue growth in North America and Europe reflecting increased demand for Monster's products," said Chairman, President and CEO Sal Iannuzzi in the company's statement. "We were encouraged that the momentum we saw in the second and third quarters of 2013 in North America and parts of Europe accelerated in the fourth quarter, and we believe these positive sales trends will continue into 2014."TheStreet Ratings team rates MONSTER WORLDWIDE INC as a "hold" with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about its recommendation: "We rate MONSTER WORLDWIDE INC (MWW) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, attractive valuation levels and increase in stock price during the past year. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income increased by 105.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$194.24 million to $11.27 million.
- Although MWW's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.23 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.81 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- The gross profit margin for MONSTER WORLDWIDE INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 14.63%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 5.72% significantly trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $2.25 million or 70.84% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MWW Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV