What To Hold: 5 Hold-Rated Dividend Stocks VLCCF, EFC, UMH, GLAD, DSWL
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 5 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Knightsbridge Tankers (NASDAQ: VLCCF) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.60%. Knightsbridge Tankers Limited, a shipping company, engages in the seaborne transportation of crude oil and dry bulk cargoes worldwide. As of December 31, 2012, it owned and operated one very large crude carrier and four Capesize dry bulk carriers. The average volume for Knightsbridge Tankers has been 426,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Knightsbridge Tankers has a market cap of $226.6 million and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are up 8.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Knightsbridge Tankers as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, expanding profit margins and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 101.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$57.01 million to $1.01 million.
- The gross profit margin for KNIGHTSBRIDGE TANKERS LTD is rather high; currently it is at 57.25%. Regardless of VLCCF's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, VLCCF's net profit margin of 10.13% compares favorably to the industry average.
- VLCCF, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 1.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 10.9%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $3.64 million or 64.98% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, KNIGHTSBRIDGE TANKERS LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Knightsbridge Tankers Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts