- Ericsson extends leadership position with acquisition of industry-leading technology portfolio in adaptive bitrate (ABR) and content protection
- Complements Microsoft Mediaroom acquisition, further supporting TV Anywhere services with a comprehensive set of technologies
- Accelerates Ericsson's offering of TV Anywhere services through addition of key technology
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Feb. 6, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) today announced it has entered into an agreement to acquire Massachusetts-based Azuki Systems, Inc., a provider of TV Anywhere delivery platforms for service providers, content owners and broadcasters.
Azuki Systems extends Ericsson's leading TV and media portfolio which includes the recent addition of Mediaroom from Microsoft. Through the acquisition, Ericsson will accelerate the availability of new and compelling viewing experiences across a variety of devices and screens. In addition, Ericsson will gain additional key functionality related to the deployment of TV Anywhere services, including adaptive bit rate and content protection technologies. In addition, the acquisition brings a team of highly skilled software engineers from Azuki Systems.
Per Borgklint, Senior Vice President and Head of Business Unit Support Solutions at Ericsson said, "We are executing on our TV&Media strategy and Azuki adds key technologies and capabilities to extend our market leadership position. Traditional TV is shifting rapidly towards TV Anywhere. Azuki Systems further positions Ericsson to help customers deliver on the Networked Society's global demand for customized and personalized media experiences that include content on any screen, any time across any network."Cheng Wu, CEO and co-founder of Azuki Systems, said: "Service providers, content owners and broadcasters face a range of challenges as they race to make content available on any device. Through worldwide deployments of our proven next generation video delivery solution, we have helped accelerate deployment and monetization of TV Anywhere services. Continuing this work as part of Ericsson will ensure that customers globally will have the most advanced support as they aim to deliver the best services for their subscribers."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts