RICHMOND, Va., Feb. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion Virginia Power and the Library of Virginia celebrated the leadership and accomplishments of eight outstanding African Americans during the second annual "Strong Men & Women in Virginia History" awards program held Wednesday at the Richmond Marriott.
The program honors prominent African Americans, past and present, who have made significant contributions to the Commonwealth.
"It is only fitting that we honor and showcase the achievements of these exceptional men and women during Black History month," said Robert M. Blue, president of Dominion Virginia Power. "These honorees have demonstrated a drive to excel and achieve great things during their lifetimes – and we are all the better for it."
"Each year, I am awestruck and humbled by the stories of the men and women who are honored through the Strong Men & Women in Virginia History program," said Librarian of Virginia Sandra G. Treadway. "Their lives and accomplishments have made a difference in our world and are an inspiration to us all."The following honorees were recognized:
- James Heyward Blackwell* – educator, Richmond
- The Honorable William D. "Bill" Euille – first African-American mayor of Alexandria
- Mary Alice Hatwood Futrell, Ed.D. – educator and organization leader, Lynchburg
- Elizabeth Hobbs Keckly* – seamstress and author, Dinwiddie
- Olivia Ferguson McQueen – civil rights pioneer, Charlottesville
- John Mitchell, Jr.* – newspaper editor, Richmond
- The Honorable James R. Spencer – first African-American federal judge of Virginia, Richmond
- Marcellus "Boo" Williams, Jr. – youth sports mentor, Hampton
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV