NORTH CHICAGO, Ill., Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- AbbVie Inc. (NYSE: ABBV) announces a US$320 million [approximately S$400 million] investment to establish operations in Singapore for small molecule and biologics active drug substance manufacturing. The completed facility will provide manufacturing capacity for emerging compounds within AbbVie's oncology and immunology pipeline to serve markets globally.
The investment will establish the first manufacturing presence in Asia by AbbVie. Other AbbVie operations in Asia include research and development (R&D) functions in Tokyo, Japan and Shanghai, China, as well as commercial operations throughout the region. AbbVie's existing presence in Singapore includes 120 personnel, supporting commercial operations, global R&D and general operations.
"As Asia's fastest-growing bio-cluster, Singapore is an ideal location to expand our manufacturing network while maintaining rigorous standards of quality and delivery for the patients we serve around the world," said Azita Saleki-Gerhardt, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Operations, AbbVie. "Our presence in Singapore will help assure geographic balance and continuity of product supply as well as increased capacity to deliver on our growing biologics and small molecule product pipeline."
"We are very pleased that Singapore will host AbbVie's first manufacturing facility in Asia. This investment is a testament of Singapore's strong biologics manufacturing capabilities. To support the continued growth of this sector, Singapore will be investing heavily in human capital development, and new programs will be put in place to train biologics manufacturing talent ahead of demand," said Kevin Lai, Director, Biomedical Sciences of the Singapore Economic Development Board.The investment is expected to result in additional headcount of more than 250 new employees. AbbVie anticipates the new facility will be fully operational by 2019.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV