Gross margin for the six months ended December 31, 2013 was 22.9% of net sales compared to 23.6% of net sales in the prior year six month period. Gross margin for the quarters ended December 31, 2013 and 2012 was 23.2% and 24.0%, respectively. The decrease in the current year periods was primarily due to price discounting on certain case goods to address changing customer requirements.
SG&A expense for the six month period ended December 31, 2013 were 16.9% of net sales compared to 18.8% of net sales in the prior year six month period. SG&A expense for the six month period ended December 31, 2012 included pre-tax executive transition costs of $1.2 million or 0.6% of net sales and $1.0 million pre-tax for legal defense costs related to the aforementioned Indiana civil litigation. SG&A expense for the quarter ended December 31, 2013 and 2012 were 16.3% and 19.2% of net sales, respectively. The current quarter includes $0.8 million pre-tax in legal defense costs and $1.7 million pre-tax in legal defense reimbursement related to the Indiana civil litigation. The prior year quarter includes $0.7 million pre-tax in executive transition costs and $0.7 million pre-tax in legal defense costs.
Working capital (current assets less current liabilities) at December 31, 2013 was $118.4 million compared to $113.7 million at June 30, 2013. Changes in working capital from June 30, 2013 to December 31, 2013 include increases in inventory of $6.4 million, accounts receivable of $5.4 million, and other current assets of $2.9 million, offset by a decrease in cash of $2.1 million and increases in accounts payable of $1.5 million and litigation settlement payable of $6.3 million. The higher inventory levels support the increases in residential sales volume and expanded product offerings. The increase in accounts receivable is due to increased sales volume and timing of related shipments and collections.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV