5 Ways to Make a Smooth Transition to a Management Role
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Congratulations -- you're moving up a rung on the office ladder. The title change and bump in salary are great, but how do you manage people who used to be your contemporaries? Even though you're the boss now, you were a friend first, and a botched transition can quickly inspire enemies. We checked in with experts who weigh in on the best ways to navigate a new management role.
1. Communicate on a personal level with every member of your team.
Your ability to make this transition effectively can propel your career in a very positive way, but failure to do so can really hinder it, says Chad Oakley, president and COO of Charles Aris, a global executive search firm.
"The only way you can move up is if other people want to follow you and are positive about you and your leadership," Oakley says. "You've got to sit down and listen to them and make your agenda a joint agenda."The truth is, your new role represents change and uncertainty to the people who work for you -- even your allies may feel unsure of what to expect from you now that you're the boss, says Morag Barrett, CEO of SkyeTeam, an international HR and leadership development firm. "Sit down with people one on one and address their concerns. What will be different? What will stay the same? What will they expect from you? Get those elephants and stinky fish out onto the table where you can address them," she says. Also, never underestimate the power of letting people know you are still a team -- even if you've moved up. "Say to them, 'I want to be our joint champion for doing all the things we could have done better, I want us together to improve things for our company and our team,'" suggests Oakley.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV