NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In 2013, Google (GOOG) went from zero to hero in the laptop market. This is one reason Google stock generally outperformed Apple (AAPL) and Microsoft (MSFT) in the last year or two.
Being one of the first users of Google laptops, I started warning about this trend in a long series of articles already in December 2010. People laughed at me all the way, but I was finally proven right. It took two years for Google to work with its key hardware partners to get the product right in order to dramatically outgrow Microsoft and Apple.
Unlike Apple and Microsoft, Google doesn't report laptop or PC sales -- or in Microsoft's case, OS licenses. Therefore, we rarely see a big quarterly headline showing what we now know, that Google murdered Microsoft and Apple in the laptop market in a record-fast time.
For market share data, we go to our new King of retail, Amazon
(AMZN). Of the top 14 best-selling laptops on Amazon, five are Google laptops and only two are Apple.
Of these five best-selling Google laptops, three are variants of the Acer 720. This new Acer 720 has become the Honda (HMC) Accord -- or Toyota (TM) Prius -- of the laptop world. It's the new volume king -- "America's laptop" if you will. It's the laptop that saved Acer as a company, after it intelligently chose to ride the Google laptop wave shortly after Microsoft started to decline.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV