MENLO PARK, Calif., Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Changes in the regulatory environment and heightened scrutiny by regulators rank at or near the top of risk concerns among corporate leaders regardless of industry, according to Executive Perspectives on Top Risks for 2014 www.protiviti.com/TopRisks, a just-released survey report by global consulting firm Protiviti ( www.protiviti.com) and the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Initiative at North Carolina State University's Poole College of Management www.erm.ncsu.edu.
"The pressures created by regulators, plus the potential for major adjustments in light of regulatory change, are understandably tremendous concerns and present substantial risk. Having to comply with new regulatory requirements can dramatically affect the profitability and growth of an organization," said Dr. Mark Beasley, Deloitte Professor of ERM and director of the ERM Initiative at NC State University. "Even organizations in industries that are less heavily regulated can feel the indirect effects of new and changing regulations, especially those affecting all types of organizations, on profitability and growth."This marks the second year in which Protiviti and the NC State ERM Initiative conducted their study to identify the top risks on the horizon that are driving risk conversations in boardrooms and C-suites. Respondents rated the potential impact of each of 22 risks considered in the survey on a scale of one to 10, with 10 being the highest impact. Despite a slight decrease in its rating year-over-year, regulatory change and heightened scrutiny again ranked as the top risk with a rating of 6.4 on the 10-point scale in the current survey. Notably, financial services organizations and those in the healthcare and life sciences industry group rated this risk substantially higher than the average from other industries, with scores of 7.3 and 8.2 respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV