CHICAGO, Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines is introducing a new, eco-friendly coffee cup to its United Club beverage service beginning this month and on United flights beginning mid-March. The insulating InCycle® cup, manufactured by Washington-based technology company MicroGREEN, is fully recyclable and made from up to 50 percent recycled materials. The InCycle cup will replace the non-recyclable Styrofoam hot beverage cups the airline currently uses.
Through MicroGREEN's technology, four and a half InCycle® cups are made from a single recycled water bottle in a waterless, additive-free recycling process. The cup is also insulated, which further reduces waste by eliminating the need for a sleeve.
"At United, we are constantly working to improve the sustainability of our products and reduce our waste at the same time," said Angela Foster-Rice, United's managing director of global environmental affairs and sustainability. "This new cup is not only aligned with our overall Eco-Skies SM commitment to the environment, it is another way our customers can feel good about flying with us."
For a photo of the InCycle® cup, click here .To watch a video on the InCycle® cup, click here . United is also reviewing its operational recycling efforts to find ways to reduce waste and to increase recycling within its system. This includes a re-design of United's inflight recycling policy and procedures to simplify the process for flight attendants, generate increased recycling volumes and minimize waste. Over the past six years, United recycled 23.5 million pounds of aluminum cans, paper and plastic from waste generated on board aircraft and in its facilities. The new cup will be added to United's recycling stream, reducing the total amount of waste sent to landfills.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV