What To Hold: 5 Hold-Rated Dividend Stocks PFLT, CEL, RNO, VNR, CPG
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 5 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." PennantPark Floating Rate Capital (NASDAQ: PFLT) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.90%. PennantPark Floating Rate Capital Ltd. is a business development company. It seeks to make secondary direct, debt, equity, and loan investments. The fund seeks to invest through floating rate loans in private or thinly traded or small market-cap, public middle market companies. The company has a P/E ratio of 12.41. The average volume for PennantPark Floating Rate Capital has been 77,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. PennantPark Floating Rate Capital has a market cap of $203.4 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 0.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates PennantPark Floating Rate Capital as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, expanding profit margins and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, weak operating cash flow and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- PFLT's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 15.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 74.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for PENNANTPARK FLOATING RT CAP is rather high; currently it is at 65.94%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 89.36% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- PENNANTPARK FLOATING RT CAP's earnings per share declined by 24.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PENNANTPARK FLOATING RT CAP reported lower earnings of $1.30 versus $1.75 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 13.1% in earnings ($1.13 versus $1.30).
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$77.29 million or 308.08% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full PennantPark Floating Rate Capital Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts