But should it win applause from investors?
If the company's estimate of $2 billion in tobacco sales per year is accurate, the company is sacrificing 1.6% of its total annual take of $123 billion to this decision.
That could mean a significant hit to its annual top-line growth, which averages about 10% per year.
For the first three quarters, the company had sales of nearly $94 billion, and it reports fourth-quarter sales on Feb. 11. Analysts are expecting CVS to report fourth-quarter revenue of about $32.7 billion and earnings of $1.11 per share.
WATCH: Jim Cramer: How to Play CVS Kicking the Tobacco Habit
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV