- Know where you're going before you set out in your car, as everything can look very different under a layer of thick snow, and signs may be obscured. If you have a sat nav / GPS, then programme it before you set off to find the best route.
- Listen to weather and traffic forecasts and check for road closures. If bad weather is predicted, listen for guidance from weather forecasters and traffic agencies. It may be advisable to delay your trip, even just a few hours can make a difference.
- Before you start out warm the car and ensure that all lights, windows and mirrors are clean and free of snow and ice. Don't use hot water on glass – the sudden change can crack the glass; an ice-scraper is inexpensive and effective. On the inside, use the air-con to remove condensation and activate front and rear windscreen heaters.
- Make sure that you and your passengers are equipped for bad weather. Dress warmly and have a rug or blanket in the boot of the car. Winter sun can be low and cause glare, especially in snowy conditions, so have suitable driving glasses to hand in your car.
- Drive slowly – Everything takes longer on snow-covered roads. Accelerating, stopping, turning...nothing happens as quickly as on dry pavement. Give yourself time to by maneuver driving slowly.
- Increase following distance – The normal dry road following distance of three to four seconds should be increased to eight to ten seconds in snow and slushy conditions.
- Watch out for black ice - remember it may not always be visible. Drive your car with extreme caution. Try not to brake sharply. If you do go into a skid, drive into it, and never brake on ice.
- If your car gets stuck in snow, shift into a high gear, keep your wheels straight and gently go back and forth until you are free. A spade or old sack/rug can help in case you can't drive straight out.
Enjoy The Slopes Safely This Winter
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.