GROTON, Conn., Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Navy has awarded General Dynamics Electric Boat a $520 million contract modification to buy long lead-time material for four Virginia-class submarines, SSN-794, SSN-795, SSN-796 and SSN-797. Electric Boat is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD).
The contract provides funding for steam and electrical-plant components, main propulsion unit and ship-service turbine generator sets, as well as miscellaneous hull, mechanical and electrical-systems components to support construction of the submarines.
With this modification, the contract has a value of $1.2 billion. It was awarded initially in April 2012.
The contract continues to support the submarine industrial base in California, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, Virginia, Arizona, New York, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Illinois, Massachusetts, and other states throughout the U.S.Recognized as a model defense-acquisition program for its technical excellence and schedule performance, the Virginia-class submarine program provides the Navy with the capabilities required to dominate both the open ocean and the littorals. In partnership with the Navy, Electric Boat is successfully pursuing its goal to reduce ship costs without decreasing capabilities through overall efficiency improvements, decreased ship-construction labor costs and shortened ship-construction cycle times. More information about General Dynamics is available at www.generaldynamics.com.
SOURCE General Dynamics Electric Boat
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV