Unknown Unknowns: Predicting Stock Trends
What we see here is the finicky nature of how year-end targets can unravel based solely on the independent displacement of major risk events, relative to the end of the calendar year. A recent example of this is the suppression of a correction in the equity markets at the end of 2013, creating a gap in the actual 2013 stock market return vs. Wall Street forecasters who themselves were caught shooting in the dark as they erratically changed their full-year forecasts throughout 2013. And alas, the correction initiated precisely in January 2014. Of course these large forecasting gaps can equally go in either direction.
The weights and the distributions of the risk events shown above yield a 6% standard deviation (AA). Or an interquartile range (75th percentile to 25th percentile) that is usually mathematically higher than 12%.
So the timing of risk we just showed creates just as much independent uncertainty as does the inherent growth model uncertainty between the higher price target forecasters vs. the lower price target forecasters!
In the illustration below, we'll see a scaled version of what a 2014 forecast for a 5% rise in equity markets really looks like based just on risk timing.A few forecasts are shown, and the along vertical axis we see the typical deviation we have on that annual forecast from just the timing of risk. Sure, something near a 5% return in 2014 can happen, though there is a very strong likelihood that you'll see nothing close to this. You may easily see a negative return. Conversely you could see a double-digit return.
Even if the return were in the single digits, we know it is within a one I range of other true return patterns, such as that for a 0% return or a 10% return. Or if we include the uncertainty beyond risk mis-timing, then this is only within a half I range, or within a one I range of either -5% and 15% returns. So, not much is truly known about the equity returns when considering the multiple sources of error uncertainty. When Wall Street strategists start the year by providing a lower return forecast, they've added very little helpful information for long-term asset allocators. This is due to the current lack of Wall Street discussion of risk modeling into calendar-year investment projections. But similar to the trend in providing a broader distribution of rankings and binomial paths, perhaps this knowledge will one day enter the mainstream. For now, those that celebrate and subscribe to these quirky, full year targets for important long-term investment decision-making could heed the quote of the 19th century social reformer, Robert Owens:
All things I thought I knew; but now confessAt the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
The more I know, I know, I know the less.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV